Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Project 510 - 1972 Datsun 1600, SR20DET Conversion - Under Construction

Well,
    Sick of driving around in my PT so I bought a project car!

This is what I bought it!

This was about 5 minutes after I got her home - lol

I purchased this 1972 Datsun 1600 with the SR20DET converstion in mind. I looked for some time to make sure I could find a car with a straight body. This one seems to be in pretty good nick considering the age. Anyway most of the modification will be done by myself but with considerable knowledge & input from Baz @ datsport.

I have now removed the old gearbox, the complete rear end and will soon removed the engine block, all of which will be scrap metal soon enough.

As I previously mention, I will run a S14 SR20DET, standard gearbox & a high mount turbo.

The car will booste a Nissian R32 complete front end, including KYB coilovers, and 300 mm slotted & spotted discs. All bushes replaced & brakeline will be replace with braided.

The rear end will be based on the Nissan R31 rear end, with a full rear drum to disc conversion, including a new handbrake & matching discs (same as front end)

A new larger, stronger diff will be installed (Nissan 300ZX), the drive shaft will be shortened and balanced.

I will run 17 x 7in custom simmons on the front and 17x7.5in on the rear.

That about does it for the drivelines, the interior will be custom & car will be completely clean, rust removed and spayed (not sure on colour yet)

The project will be to restore the car to show standard with a sh#t load of attention to detail, including crap like button start, all nuts and bolts replaced with new ones, and heaps of custom touches on the way.

The project will take abit of time, and will progress as the finances permit

Will keep this thread up todate as much as I can! Always open to suggestions?
    Cheers

Scotty

your air compressor sounds like a weapon out of a sci fi movie LOL

thats pritty choice man
    should fly when its finished
    u even have the venetians keep them they complete the old skool look hay
    good luck mate
    Last edited by justinguttormsen; 18-08-07 at 01:05 PM.

Nice good luck and please keep the progress photos coming.

Screw the SR20 go an FJ20!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ONN20
    Screw the SR20 go an FJ20!!!!
    Too late, I have already bought the new engine mounts and crossmember!

Im note sure there is a massive difference between them
    Cheers

Scotty

OK Guys, made my first purchase on friday 3rd August 2007. I have bought a fully adjustable rear cross member! The first pic is of the standard one I have just removed. I have also taken the rear trailling arms off and removed the diff & CV's - these are all going to "Parts Heaven".

Removed more boby parts - owww this is fun! LOL

Removed more interior:

Cheers

Scotty

wikid as making progress
    are u giving it a respray aswell or just leave it as is

Quote Originally Posted by justinguttormsen
    wikid as making progress
    are u giving it a respray aswell or just leave it as is
    Yea, the plan is to get the car running with the current paint, then once all is working fine and I an happy with the driverbility, then I will strip again and send it off to be reprayed (Blue) & custom interior, including a new dash!
    Cheers

Scotty

Worked on the car over the weekend! Geezzz im loving this :P .

I paint stripped and prepared the engine bay for a new paint job. This is only painted to make the engine bay look alittle smarted why I get ready for the engine conversion. The engine bay will be smoothing out and repainting when the car is ready for paint & panel - sometime in the next 2 to 3 decades. This home job should be ok for now! B)

I removed the Battery mount ( no room in engine bay so this is beeing relocated to the boot) and cut the holds for the new "Crush Tube" this is to add strength to the cros member - pic 1

Pic 1

Engine bay shots

New bushes for the tie rod's

New Lower control arm's installed and ready for the coil over uprights

New Stabiliser bar and ball link system: makes for more adjustment.

New fully adjusterble rear cross member, note the bolts can be adjusted Up, Down In & Out

Larger holel for the new exhast!

Last but not least is the anti vibration transmission mount:

That about does it for this weeks stuff. I have sourced my R200 Longnose & I am awaiting more parts to finish off the rear end. Should have this in the next week or so. New rear brake discs (260mm slotted and spotted discs with R31 calipers and fully rebuilt lower control arms) Once this stuff arrives the rear end will be done apart for the custom CV's that need to be measured and cut for the car.

Stay Tuned
    Cheers

Scotty

Good work Scotty

Keep posting those updates!

As I previously mention, I sourced an R200 VLSD 3.9. This was not as hard to find as I thought I couldnt beleve how large and heavy this bloody thing is!

Here are a few pics:

As this is a viscous, I think at this stage I will arrange to get the Cv's custom made!

On a side note, before anyone asks, I have choosen to go with the Viscous as I am building the car for street & show purpose. If I end up running Hilclimbs ect I will source a mechnical
    Cheers

Scotty

Ok, so over the weekend I also found time to build myself a workbench! I grabbed a vice from ebay, I think it cost me $30 plus postage.

Note all the baby food jars & containers - having a baby was useful after all

I had to get the flange removed from the diff to get the diff through the crossmember. Note to all, make sure you make a point on the 27mm bolt to ensure you tighten the bolt back up to the correct place on the thread (Thanks Baz!). Once the bolt is removed, I had to use a gear pull to remove the flange (Shes in there pretty good, tapping it wont help). I also had to grind a very small peice from the bottom side of the diff, this ensured all the bolts lined up with teh crossmember! Put the bolts in and Voilà! Ready for install into the car! I have a new backing plate for the diff and a modified moustache bar on route from Baz, so I should have the diff & the rear disc assembly in the car in the next week or so!

I had to remove the speed sensor, the casing once removed exposes the gear, I didnt see the need to remove it so I left it on!
    Cheers

Scotty

Ok, My next shipment (thanks datsport) of stuff arrived yesterday (love it when christmas is early) This stuff will just about complete the rear end:

King Springs;

KYB Gas shocks:

Modified moustache bar

New Rear Diff plate & gasket:

New Rear Brake disc's & caliper's:

I should have this stuff in the car by the weekend! Will post up shots one the setup is in!
    Cheers

Scotty

comming along nicely
    should come up a treat
    AUTO-TEK AUTOMOTIVE
    MORE GRUNT
    ------------------------