Default holden 355 turbo setup

Hi, just after some peoples advise and opinions on the turbo setup im currently doing, it will be going in my vl, Engine 355 stroker, Come cast crank, chev i beams, keith black dish tops approx 10:1 comp, ported vn heads solid cam 237/237 dur, .510" lift 110 lsa, arp studs in rods and mains, harrop single plane and holley 850 methanol carb. Trans full manual stage 3 trimatic, 4200 TCE stall.. setup is currently making 420hp (crank) N/A and has run 12.2 @ 110mph on street tyres in my vl.. Just looking to step things up a bit i have just brought a garrett ta45 turbo with a 1.3 exhaust housing that i will be strapping on the side.Will be staying with the holley and going blow thru. Just wondering how much boost i will be able to run with the comp i have got, was hoping around 8psi on this motor non intercooled runnning on methanol, things should hold together? Also what size wastegate will i need 50-60mm? When do you think it will hit full boost? and any predictions on Hp it should make, the car is registered and still gets driven but is just a weekend toy. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

10:1 with 237/237 on meth should be able to take more than 8psi, however i dare say it will make more than enough power on 8 for you to shit your self if you're only used to a 12 sec car. good thing about turbo cars is you can start low and turn things up later. i would say you'd be up over 600hp on 8-10psi.
    Im a bit weary of your tri though, they generally arent up to the task of the torque of a turbo 8, i also think your converter might stretch, torque will almost double prior to your flash speed rpm.
    The ta45 will come on nice and early, well before your 4200 converter anyway despite the 1.3 housing, its a pretty small turbo for your engine, . id seriously look at swapping that out for a 3500 or so. gate will need to be 50mm at a minimum.

To give you background those particulars on my car are. 8.5:1 on 98ULP 700hp 3500 converter, bigger turbo and 60mm gate, much smaller cam. and in a street driven vlc
    Last edited by Az'; 15-02-11 at 11:57 AM.

I probably wouldnt want kb hypers in a boosted engine unless the tune is real, real good and you dont get greedy, otherwise youll be fishing them out of your sump.

8psi and that cam/comp could almost be done on pump with nulon tipped in (and intercooled) but alky will be a bunch safer though the rozzers wont like you streeting on methanol.

Who is going to do your carb?
    Last edited by greenhj; 15-02-11 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks for the advice Az and green hj, i am trying to sell my driveline now and will build a new one with forgies and a later model block so i can run a glide or T400, buying all the small parts now and making the manifolds at work. Once tax time comes around i was leaning towards getting a B/W S475 turbo or similar and 60mm progate. was going to get jakes performance to mod the carb but think i might sell it and buy a proper one from pro systems or QFT. might switch to a hydraulic cam while im at it as i hate adjusting the rockers all the time. Was checking out the thread on your car a while back Az very nice man inspired me to throw a turbo on mine, just wondering how many rpm you spin it to as you are running ibeam rods i believe? and do you have 4bolt mains or 2bolt? as yours sounds like a pretty reliable setup and im hoping for around the same power output at the end.
    Thanks again,
    Blair

Hi Blair, Yes mine has been quite reliable for what it is, after all it was a budget build. The short consists of a come cast crank, come 5.7" i beams, and trw forged blower pistons, studded 2 bolt with girdle and i like to keep rpm under 6200, however i had to bump the limiter up to 6600 when it started nudging 140mph, thats with a 28" tyre and 3.45's.

So i ended up selling all my holden gear and i am going to put a chev in it with twin turbo's, its going to be a PITA i know but should be worth it in the end. Cheaper parts and aftermarket blocks etc. I have brought the engine mounts, g/box crossmember etc from crs, now have a glide with transbrake, full ice ignition with 2 step, 2 x 60mm gates and have just ordered 2 borgwarner S366 turbo's from the states, with the .91 a/r divided rear,
    Just waiting on tax time now so i can get the motor sorted. Unsure on what size yet was thinking a 383 or 427 small block from shafiroff but time will tell.
    Cheers