BMW’s latest M Performance vehicle, the BMW M140i five-door hatch, has been lauded for its combination of high specification, turbocharged six-cylinder engine performance and rear-drive handling dynamism.
- M Performance parts highlight locally-developed BMW M140i Performance Edition
- A unique Australian model, limited to 60 units
- Choice of six-speed manual (15 units) or eight-speed automatic (45 units)
- Manual variants gain mechanical limited-slip differential and M Performance gear knob finished in Alcantara and carbon-fibre
- Exterior highlighted by bi-colour 19-inch alloys, carbon-fibre mirror covers, performance exhaust system and black kidney grille, rear fins and spoiler
- M Performance Alcantara steering wheel with carbon-fibre trim and M Performance LED door sill finishers match with carbon-fibre trim set and aluminium pedal covers to enhance interior
- Individually-numbered plaque ensures exclusivity
- Priced from $71,900 plus on-road costs
- Available in Q2, 2017
Recognising the enthusiast appeal inherent in the M140i, BMW Group Australia has developed a local ‘Performance Edition’ that further enhances the M140i’s appeal. Limited to 60 units nationally (split between 45 eight-speed automatics and 15 six-speed manuals), the BMW M140i Performance Edition’s exclusivity is ensured.
“We have been very encouraged by the M140i’s performance since it arrived in the second half of 2016,” said BMW Group Australia CEO Marc Werner. “It is a car with a strong enthusiast following. This Australian M140i Performance Edition builds further on these strengths and its limited production status creates a halo effect for the popular 1 Series range.”
Athletic aesthetic, acoustic depth
The BMW M140i Performance Edition is immediately identified by a range of exterior visual changes chosen to accentuate the vehicle’s dynamism.
An upgrade to BMW M performance 19-inch light alloy wheels finished Bi-colour Orbit Grey is particularly noteworthy, as are the hand-crafted carbon-fibre exterior mirror covers.
Up-front the traditional BMW kidney grille is finished in high-gloss black, while towards the rear of the M140i Performance Edition the dark theme continues with the rear fins and roof-mounted spoiler finished in black.
A BMW M Performance Exhaust System showcases bright chrome tailpipes and unleashes the 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder petrol engine’s acoustic depth.
Interior packed with performance touchpoints
BMW M Performance LED door sill trims immediately invite occupants to the cabin, further differentiating the M140i Performance Edition.
Inspired by the limited-edition BMW M4 GTS, the BMW M140i Performance Edition’s interior features open pore carbon-fibre and Alcantara extensively.
As a key link between driver and vehicle, the M Performance Alcantara steering wheel is a particular highlight. Offering stunning tactility, the wheel is further enhanced with carbon-fibre trim and a stitched red leather central marker to aid accuracy during sporty driving. The carbon-fibre centre console contrasts with the Alcantara dash trim while manual versions offer a carbon-fibre gear shift knob with Alcantara shift gaiter for further distinction.
Also sourced from M Performance, the aluminium pedal covers bring sporty contrast to the interior while also adding a functional element, with a unique design created to minimise foot slip. Sports seats are fitted as standard, trimmed in a dynamic mix of lightweight cloth and Alcantara with Dakota leather optionally available.
Limited-slip differential provides exceptional traction
To maximise rear-axle response and traction, manual versions of the BMW M140i Performance Edition are equipped with a mechanical limited-slip differential. This differential provides torque to the wheel with the most available traction, ensuring optimised drive from a standing start or accelerating out of corners.
Performance Edition numbered plaque ensures limited status
A bespoke numbered plaque is fitted to each BMW M140i Performance Edition. Depicting the ‘1 of 60’ build status and featuring the M Performance logo, the plaque cements this machine’s collectible status.
Full factory warranty on M Performance Parts
As the BMW M140i Performance Edition is fitted with M Performance Parts by the manufacturer, the additions are covered by the factory three-year vehicle warranty.
In addition to the extensive M Performance enhancements, the BMW M140i Performance Edition is fitted with the M140i’s high level of standard equipment. Highlights include:
- Turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine producing 250kW/500Nm
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Variable sport steering
- M Sport brakes (4-piston front callipers, 2-piston rear)
- Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Selective Beam
- Comfort access
- ConnectedDrive services including Intelligent Emergency Call, TeleServices, ConnectedDrive Services, Remote Services and Real-Time Traffic Information
- iDrive5 with Navigation System Professional
- Park distance control, front and rear
- Speed limit info
- Cruise control with braking function
- Dual-zone climate control
- 12-speaker Harman/kardon audio system with DAB+ capability
- Bluetooth with extended smartphone capability
Condition Based Servicing
All maintenance requirements for the BMW M140i Performance Edition are controlled by the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system.
With CBS, sensors and advanced algorithms monitor and calculate the conditions in which a vehicle is used, including mileage, time elapsed since its last service, fuel consumption and how a vehicle is driven. Based on the information captured, maintenance requirements are determined, identifying whether an annual vehicle inspection or oil service is due. Selected BMW service and maintenance costs can be covered by a single, one-off advance payment with BMW Service Inclusive (BSI), which is available in two packages: Basic or Plus.