The O’Reilly Auto Parts “Title Fight” sponsored by Gumout at the Formula DRIFT Championship presented by BlackVue Dash Cameras Round 8 Results; Matt Field Takes the Event Victory and Chris Forsberg is Crowned Champion.
Irwindale Speedway, CA
October 7-8, 2016
Photos by: Jay Canter – HighRevPhotos.com
Irwindale Speedway, also known as the “House of Drift,” hosted the sold out event. Over 600,000 global viewers tuned in to watch the event unfold via the Livestream.
The season culminated at the largest event of the year and with the championship at stake the drivers put it all on the line. Entering the event, only four drivers were mathematically eligible to take home the championship, 2-time champion, Chris Forsberg, returning champion Fredric Aasbo, 2010 champion, Vaughn Gittin, and Aurimas “Odi” Bakchis. As the event progressed, Gittin, had an early exit in the round of 32, which left Aasbo and Forsberg left to control their own destiny. The Top 16 saw many spoilers and upsets as Forberg crashed in his chase run against Patrick Mordaunt giving a small chance to Aasbo. In Aasbo’s Top 16 battle against Matt Field, Aasbo initiated contact on his chase lap giving the edge to Field, which ultimately cost him the decision to give Forsberg the 2016 Pro Championship. This makes Forsberg the first 3-time Formula DRIFT champion and first champion to win without winning a single round of competition. Forsberg also is awarded the 2016 Formula DRIFT World Championship.
Round 8: Title Fight Event Results
1. Field, Matt Gears of War 4 / Falken Tire / Driftcave Motorsports Nissan 240 Winner
2. Yoshihara, Dai Falken Tire / Turn 14 Subaru BRZ 2nd Place
3. Tuerck, Ryan Gumout / Nameless Performance / Hankook SR by Toyota FRS 3rd Place
2016 Formula DRIFT Championship Presented by BlackVue Final Standings
1. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 539.00 Points
2. Aasbo, Fredric Rockstar Energy Drink / Nexen Tire SR by Toyota tC 502.00 Points
3. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR 462.00 Points
For more info about Formula Drift please visit www.FormulaD.com